Saturday 23 August 2014

It's just hair: A case for the full beard


Most people who don't have a beard are probably unaware of the varying opinions and perceptions people have about men who wear beards, or just the actual beard... most often negative... without much consideration for the person wearing it! Men's facial hair might not seem like a relevant enough topic simply because it is such a natural occurrence but people's reactions to facial hair is interesting and sometimes even puzzling to me. I can't actually grow a beard of my own... not yet anyway, but some of my male family members and most of my best friends happen to be men who choose to wear beards. They have me wondering why it is that people are so against the full beard. It may just be that since I experience people's aversion to my natural mane on a regular basis, I understand what it must feel like for men who, in an attempt to flaunt their natural masculinity, or better cope with the challenges of shaving (especially for men with afro-textured hair), choose to wear a beard. 

Contrary to what I've heard, when a man decides to stop shaving, it does not mean he is lazy, self-negligent or rebellious. Not every man can grow a beard and not everyone who can grow a beard can grow a full one.  Most men figure this out by the time they are 20 but usually, the ritual of shaving has started much earlier. Men shave for various reasons, but the most common reason is so they can maintain the social standard of clean-shaven baby soft faces... much like those of boys and women! Some men who are prone to skin problems associated with regular shaving find that letting some facial tuft grow eases their problems considerably. Other men just like to show off their natural physiognomy as a way of demonstrating healthy masculinity... much like a lion does!  Yet again others, choose to wear their facial hair cut in a variety of styles as an extension of their personality and/or self-image.

I have yet to hear an argument against facial hair that doesn't in someway, try to out-rightly control people and how they choose to look. I obviously love men with beards. I see them as confident statements of masculinity and I've never found one too "rough" or abrasive to kiss. It is true that some beards are a result of some neglect; it might say that a man is "down on his luck" and either can't afford to or doesn't care to visit  Sweeney Todd! The collection of beards I've managed to put together are no such beards. These are some of the most stylish men of our present time with Afro-beards. I decided to only do Afro-beards to highlight the issue of skin problems men with very curly hair have with facial hair and regular shaving.  Ladies, feast your eyes...

My all-time favourite beard belongs to no other person but American hip hop recording artist and actor, Lonnie Rashid Lynn, Jr. Better known as Common. I don't think I've ever seen him without a beard, and each time I do see him, I'm speechless...


Next up, is the perfectly stylish Allen Onyia. Co-founder of one of the most popular men's style websites upscalehype.com. His iconic  full beard is revolutionalising the image of young, successful and stylish men on social media.
Source: allenonyia.com



British rapper Patrick Chukwuemeka Okogwu, better known as Tinie Tempah, wears a cropped beard quite handsomely.



Source: Tinie Tempah

Keep calm and give us a smile Mr. Tempah!

There you go!

American rapper William Leonard Roberts II, better known as Rick Ross wears his beard like a Boss!




Usher who needs no introduction is looking very suave with his beard.



Tim Howard, goalkeeper for the United States football team during the recent FiFa world-cup tournament might prove to be the most memorable goalkeeper this year, not only for his excellent performance on the field, but also for that beard that had everyone talking.


Charles-Hubert Itandje, goalkeeper for the Cameroon national team during the world-cup may not be as memorable but we ain't mad at him and he takes the trophy for the most iconic Cameroonian beard only because I dare not nominate Alexandre Song... as bearded as he may be most of the time! Good on you Charles for showing up and doing your job...


Taye Diggs best known for his role on Broadway musical, Rent, but also for starring roles in movies such as How Stella Got Her Grove Back and The Best Man; looks debonair with his full beard and preppy ensembles.



Mr. sexy himself, Idris Elba wears his "silver-back" salt and pepper beard like a badge of honour...



Cameroonian rapper/producer Jovi, first got my attention with his lyrical flow in a blend of pidgin English and French. His talent and creative home-grown lyrics represents Cameroon beautifully on the African urban music scene. He must have heard I was doing this post and started growing a beard! Na bie-bie no bi poto-poto (It's just hair, it's not dirt)... :-)



I don't know who this guy is, but he looks gorgeous with that beard so I've thrown him in to further reiterate my point. Now I forget what my point is... haha ! Nice...

I'm sure all these men look just as stunning with clean-shaven faces, but they do with beards as well and maybe even more so. Regardless of how they choose to portray themselves, a little or a lot of hair on their faces, it's all very fine by me. If you can think of any iconic and stylish beards, please leave a comment. If you don't see beards in quite the same light as I do, leave a comment and let me better understand your side of the argument...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...