Thursday 26 September 2013

Picture post: Orange blossoms

This year is proving to be the year of "awareness through photography" for me! Interestingly, though I grew up in this very same town in Cameroon, I had never noticed citrus fruit blossoms in Kumba before. Obviously, citrus fruits come about on their trees the same way pretty much every other fruit I've come across does; except maybe pineapples. Buds appear, they bloom, they get pollinated, the petals fall off, the ovules enlargen and you have the beginnings of fruit. The entire process happens in close response to both the environmental elements and some animals in the same habitat area. For orange trees in Cameroon, this process happens several times a year. They even begin to bloom a new set of oranges while the old ones are still hanging on the tree. Can't say the same for mangoes. I'm sure most people I know wish mangoes would bloom more than once every year. Just looking at these blooms and little oranges gives me a feeling of sweet citrusy joy! These are the new beginnings that will take this orange season into the end of the year. Enjoy...



Orange blossoms of Kumba Cameroon






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...